Household Consumer Durables
Singer Asia distributes a broad range of Household Consumer Durable products classified into the following categories:
- Home appliances: Home appliances include: air conditioners, air coolers, dishwashers, freezers, kitchen ranges, refrigerators, washing machines, water purifiers and small appliances such as grinders, irons, kettles, mixers and rice cookers. In the large appliance categories, Singer Asia carries brands such as Singer, Sisil, Beko, Hitachi, Samsung, Videocon and Whirlpool. In the small appliance categories, Singer Asia carries brands such as Singer, Krups, Moulinex, Prestige and Tefal.
- Consumer electronics: Consumer electronics include audio equipment, Blu-ray players and home theatre systems, DVD Players and televisions. The key brands Singer Asia carries are Singer, Hitachi, Samsung, Skyworth, TCL, and unic.
- IT products: IT products include computer accessories such as monitors, keyboards and printers; computers (both desktop and laptop); mobile products including mobile phones, mobile phone accessories and smart phones; and tablets. The key brands Singer Asia carries are Singer, Dell, Huawei and Samsung.
- Furniture: Furniture includes dining room sets, living room sets, bedroom sets, office furniture, sofas, fitted kitchens. The majority of furniture is branded Singer Homes. Furniture comprises approximately 4% of sales, but this is expected to increase substantially in the coming years.
- Sewing machines: Sewing machines and sewing related products are generally marketed under the Singer and Regnis brands for both household and industrial use and include straight stitch, zigzag, artisan and industrial models.
- Other products: Other products the Company distributes include agricultural equipment such as, small tractors and water pumps; bicycles; fitness equipment; motorcycles; vending machines and water heaters.
The range of products varies by location, but all of the retail businesses offer a core range of home appliances and consumer electronics. The Company broadens and updates the product offering on a continuing basis.
Most products continue to be sold using the Company's house brands -- Singer, Sisil and Unic -- especially the Singer brand, although a meaningful share especially in Sri Lanka, and, to a lesser extent, in Bangladesh are now also being sold using a variety of other well-known names, often under exclusive brand distribution arrangements. The Company is an exclusive distributor or co-distributor in certain markets for such well-known brands as Hitachi, Samsung, Skyworth, TCL and Whirlpool. Singer Asia recently added distribution in various Singer Asia markets for the prominent European brand Beko, and the Chinese brand Huawei. Reflecting the multi-brand offering, Singer shops in the retail markets are branded "Singer Plus".
Most of the household consumer durable products sold by the Company are sourced from third party manufacturers, either in fully assembled or kit form. Singer Asia has maintained strong historical relationships with several leading global and local Asian manufacturers.
In some cases, where there are local efficiencies or tax or duty incentives, manufacture or assembly of certain products is carried out by the local Singer Asia operating company, as indicated below:
- Sri Lanka - agricultural and domestic water pumps, furniture, refrigerators, sewing cabinets and washing machine are manufactured; and sewing machines are assembled.
- Bangladesh - televisions and air conditioners are assembled, and furniture is manufactured.
- India - sewing machines are assembled.